Spring is Here
Time for some Spring Cleaning and getting rid of that old dusty Dog bed. 3 Shades of Dog has an awesome way to Brighten up your home and add some additional comfort for your Labrador with 3 Shades of Dog’s newest dog bed additions. We are also Giving Away one of the Bamboo Lounge Beds to benefit Labrador Friends of the South. Every Dollar donated gives you an entry. Max $20. See Below for more information.
Read More »
Spring is supposed to be here already according to the groundhog. However, that certainly is not the case. That has not stopped It’s a Lab Thing from sneaking in a photo shoot for 3 Shades of Dog. Brody and Saban have turned in to quite the LABmodels for us. When they see me grab my camera, they know it is time for something fun!
Wearing a Bow Tie is a Statement…
The boys are good sports when it comes time for us to do some photography. Even if it means wearing these totally awesome Bow Ties. Now, I am not one for dressing up my Labrador, but I will admit that Brody and Saban look absolutely handsome in these Bow Ties and Bandannas. Could you imagine showing up for a Spring picnic with your Lab in a Bandanna looking quite Dapper? Is your Labrador planning on being in a wedding? How handsome would he be strolling down the aisle with his Bow Tie on?
As always, I have to thank Brody and Saban for being such gentlemen and allowing me to practice my photography skills. I love my boys and it is great to see them act and look so mature…. well at least until the Bow Ties come off then it is back to being a Goofy Labradors.
What are your Labradors looking forward to this Spring?
Read More »
Just as people come in all shapes and sizes, our furry counterparts are just as varied. Large breed dogs such as Labs and others that tip the scales at 50 lbs. plus need a place to crash that’s comfy, allows them to relax naturally, and can support their heftier weights. The question is, though, what qualities should a dog bed geared for extra-large breeds possess? Searching for the right dog bed in the past might have been an exercise in frustration for most Lab parents. Cheaply made beds that don’t last, potentially unsafe materials, and beds that are just plain ugly are a few of the challenges facing loving Labrador moms and dads.
To weed through the mass-produced junk and find the perfect bed for your canine companion, stick to some easy to remember principles:
- Quality construction. A large breed dog bed that lasts will be constructed with the best materials and methods of assembly. Avoid beds that have the hallmarks of poor quality – less than perfect stitching, sharp edges, and uneven fill for the bed itself.
- Stain, spill, and odor resistant fabric. Let’s be real: dogs are lovable, and also messy. Whether it’s drool, water, goobers, or any other delightful type of moisture, you want your dog bed to be made with fabric that’s up to the challenge. Just as humans need to wash their bedding, the same is true for our four legged friends, perhaps more so. Choose a bed with fabric that is soft, durable, stain-proof and machine washable.
- Allergy-free and eco-friendly fill. So many Labradors and people suffer from chemical allergies these days, having a dog bed made with allergen-free fill and materials is a must. Avoid dog beds that do not plainly show what their fill is made from, have any kind of chemical odor, or aren’t advertised as being eco-friendly.
- Support for weight and joints. Large dog breeds can suffer from joint discomfort and arthritis, especially with advancing age. A bed that can offer comfortable support can sustain your dog’s mobility longer, offer better sleep, and keep them healthier.
- Attractive design. Okay, this may seem more important to humans than dogs, but really, if your dog bed is an eye-sore that you just want to squirrel away any time company comes over, it’s time to rethink this feature. Look for a dog bed in rich, decorative patterns and colors that will blend seamlessly with your décor.
- Tested and Dog-Approved. Each bed adheres to strict quality standards, solid construction, and is dog-evaluated on its appeal, safety, and function.
- Worth the price. Luxury dog beds that are made from the best materials and are well constructed will always cost more than their inferior competition. Investing more in a dog bed that lasts years is worth the extra money for your dog’s health, comfort, and your own peace of mind.
Take a little time, do your research, and we are sure you’ll find the perfect bed for your fur babies to curl up in and feel warm, safe, and secure!
What Kind of Dog Bed do You Like for your Lab?
Read More »
We all absolutely Love to make our Labradors happy and nothing makes a Lab more Happy is a sweet tasting treat. However, giving our Labbies treats all the time can have some repercussions. Mostly, that they are not always the healthiest and are more of an equivalent to junk food.
When I was at the Global Pet Expo a couple weeks back, one of the main products that seemed to be getting the most attention were treats that performed a function. Mostly providing some of the awesome supplements that we humans take for ourselves. Labs, like humans, need additional vitamins and minerals in their diet to feel and perform at their best and live a healthy and happy life so they can stay with us as long as possible.
There are so many products out there it could make your head spin. So I was super stoked when I was able to meet the team at Cloud Star and they introduced me to their New line of treats Dynamo Dog™ Functional Dog Treats.
A Healthy Lab is a Happy Lab
I have always given Brody and Saban supplements. I started Brody on supplements for his skin and coat when I figured out he had allergies. I also switched his brand of dog food, but we will save that for another discussion. The supplements helped tremendously with his itching and on top of that his skin and coat flourished. Brody was always getting compliments on how soft he was. Naturally, when we adopted Saban, we put him on the same supplements.
Not all Supplements are Handy Dandy
These treats were designed for convenience and simplicity in mind. That is the one thing that the other supplements that I was using did not have. They were in the form of a huge tablet, I had to crush them up every time so that I knew that they would get fully digested. Now, it is super simple to give; Brody and Saban love them. I usually give them the Dynamo Treats at various times of the day.
The Dynamo Treats are awesome and having a Labrador Retriever, I pretty much use all the functions. I usually give the Tummy treats after they eat to help with the digestion and what not. The Tummy formula is vegan and has pumpkin and ginger in it to aid in digestion. Brody and Saban get the Hip & Joint Formula in the morning and like most hip and joint supplements, they contain glucosamine and chondroitin in it but Cloud Star took some extra steps and added green-lipped mussel, which is an added benefit. Skin & Coat is their bedtime treat. That way the omega-rich salmon oil and vitamin E can work their magic as Brody and Saban sleep.
We Love that the treats are All Natural, Gluten Free, Grain Free and Made in the USA by a Family Owned company. Yes, that matters too! The cost is not bad and about comparable to human vitamins and supplements. As always, It’s a Lab Thing suggests that you check with your Vet with regards to any questions and concerns that you may have regarding supplements.
What do you think? Would you add those essential extra nutrients to your Labrador’s diet?
Read More »
That’s right. A double dose of PawBox. January was a crazy month and I over looked our PawBox for that month. So lets take a look back at some of the awesome goodies from January.
- Simple Green BIO DOG: A highly effective formula that eliminates both the stains and odors caused by our beloved Labradors. It is perfect for stain and odor removal on soft, porous surfaces like carpets, rugs, upholstery, even, dog bedding. Non-toxic and biodegradable, too!!
- My Doggy Bites: Yummy, natural Lab treats made with premium ingredients. No complaints from Brody and Saban.
- Pegetables: Nutritous & delicious premium dental dog chew treats made with real vegetables. SShhhh don’t tell Brody.
- Fingerbrush: Soft flex latex conforms to finger for comfortable soft bristles gently massage the gums. I love these. Easy to use when cleaning the boys teeth.
- Toy of the Month: A fun rope toy that Brody and Saban played tug a war with. It is missing from the photo because it was demolished.
- Natural Balance® Dog Food Rolls: have been scientifically formulated by veterinarians and animal nutritionists to provide high quality nutrition and optimize skin and coat condition for adult dogs.
- FeelGood: Crunchy, take-anywhere treats that Brody and Saban just love. All Natural and Organic ingredients. It doesn’t stop there… they are also Wheat, Gluten and Preservative free too!!
- Silver Lining: A Skin and Coat supplement that I will definitely try. I have used other and have my favorites so lets see if this can do the job. Remember if you have a question about supplements, please consult your veternarian.
- Heart Magnet: This one is for the LABparents. Just a simple magnet that you would probably pay $5 to $10 dollars for.
- Toy of the Month: A stuffed Bone. Never any complaints when toys enter the picture.
As always this awesome monthly treat for your Labrador is just $10/month. Give it a Try!!
Read More »
Free Stitch is a really cool brand, that was featured on Dog Milk a few months back, that is out of Japan and carries luxury leather dog collars, leads, and harnesses as well as other interesting dog wear. Think Banana Republic for dogs..
While Antonio and I are not too big on the whole dressing your dog in a full on ensemble, I do love the classic, almost masculine, style of their wear and would totally let Brody and Saban rock the leather collars! The other thing I really love about this company is their use of stunning photography yet simple messaging. Antonio and I are suckers for beautiful dog photography. Their website is in Japanese but they have an online lookbook that is enjoyable in any language! Go check it out at here: FREE STITCH LOOKBOOK
Could you see your dog wearing any of these items? If so, leave me a comment of what you like and why!
Read More »
So lets see what we got and feel free to click on any of the links too.
- Grandma Lucy’s Organic Oven Baked Dog Treats: All natural apple treats made with 100% Human-Quality ingredients. Can you ever go wrong with treats!?
- NoviPet MultiVitamin: A natural vitamin supplement with essential nutrients. I liked these because it was an easy way to get Brody and Saban to get some extra vitamins.
- Wag More Bark Less Soft & Chewy Treats: Natural Pumpking recipe with no artificial anythings.. Plus wheat free. No complaints from the Lab gallery.
- Green Curry Brush: Massages the skin and promotes natural oil production for healthy skin and coat. I used it when giving them a bath and it was awesome. Helped loosen all that under fur. Brody loved the massage.
- A Festive Bandana: Bandannas and Labs jsut go Hand in Hand.
On top of that Pawbox is giving an exclusive offer just to It’s a Lab Thing fans… 50% off your 1st Month*! Now that is so worth trying out.
CLICK HERE and put in coupon code Holiday50 to get that discount.
Read More »
Just in time for the holidays…our new fresher, bolder, designed smart phone cases in bright vivid colors designed exclusively by Lab Afficianados and owners of It’s A Lab Thing, Karen and Antonio Now you can bring your Lab with you everywhere you go!
01. Here is heading for answer no. 1TOP
3 Shades of Dog, conceived by Karen Rodriguez, co-owner of the popular It’s A Lab Thing blog, is the new fresh product line of modern tech, home and fashion accessories for the modern dog lover. After months of searching for unique must have items, that not only expressed her love of dogs but also her love of fashion and interior design, Karen continued coming up empty handed. So Karen and Antonio decided to create the products themselves.
02. Here is heading for answer no. 2TOP
Well the word “dog” is self-explanatory, but the idea behind 3 Shades represents many things including Karen’s love for the Labrador Retriever which come in 3 shades, yellow, chocolate and black, as well as the 3 core principles that the owners of both 3SD and It’s a Lab Thing stand by:
- Heart What is given to us unconditionally by our dogs and must be shared, celebrated and respected always.
- Help commitment to give back through charity work, fostering, and through continued donations by always giving a portion of all of the product sales to local rescues.
- Home Creating quality stylish fashion and home accessories for passionate dog lovers.
Read More »
Who wouldn’t Love to get a care package every month filled with little goodies?? I know I would!
Let me introduce you to Pawbox. A little package of Love just for your Labrador and other dogs too. “PawBox is a smart, streamlined, and fun way to discover high-end food, treats, grooming, toys and supplement niche products.” says the Pawbox founders and they are RIGHT!
I have to tell you that I even get excited when I go to the mailbox knowing that any day there will be something in there for my Labs. Brody and Saban will think I am the king when I bring them that box of goodies. They always anxiously sit and wait as I open it to see what they get.
Pawbox is really quite simple and it is a subscription based service that does not cost a whole bunch of bucks. For just $10 a month you get this little box of happiness sent to you and your Labby. You can start and stop your service anytime, it is super easy to sign up and you can sample some of the newest trendiest treats and products for your Labs.
So lets see what we got!
- 1 Large Fido’s Cookies® Biscuit – Brody and Saban devoured theirs. Obviously.
- 1 Box of Doggie Walk Bags – Scented with baby powder they helped mask the poopy smell. They also have easy tie handles and are compact. A great accessory for poop pick up plus combine that with The Fifth Paw and you are good to go.
- 2 Isle of Dogs™ intensely nourishing Gloss Shampoo – These shampoos are antioxidant rich and smell good all the while making your Labrador’s coat shiny and clean.
- 1 Lickety Stik® Lickable Dog Treat – this thing is amazing! Take off the cap and let your Labby lick away. With only 1 calorie in every 10 Licks you don’t have to worry about feeling bad when you want to give your Labrador a treat. Great for the Labs that are on diets.
- 1 Dr. Harvey Canine Health miracle dog food pre-mix – Great healthy meal pack that you add to dinner or breakfast. I will say that it is loaded with Grains so if your Lab is on a grain-free diet… Well it just wouldn’t work.
So there you have it. Not bad for $10. Now I get to wait until the next Pawbox comes so we can try out some premium samples in the comfort of my own home.
Pawbox is close to releasing their Gift Pawbox which would make for a great present to any Labrador or dog parent.
And for us that have a cat in the family, they have Pawbox for Cats too!!
Read More »
It is getting close to that time of year when you will have more guests to the house than usual. So keep your Labrador Fresh and Clean with these products that I use. Simple to use and they put that new Labrador Smell on your Labs so they can be ready for all the hugs and kisses they will get.
Read More »